Senior Care Access Logo


Retirement Home Regulation in British Columbia (BC)- British Columbia is the first province in Canada to regulate Assisted Living Residences, the category under which many retirement residences fall. There is no regulation governing Independent Living Residences.
Supportive Living Regulation in Alberta (AB)- The Accommodation Standards for Supportive Living in Alberta are mandatory for all retirement home settings with 4 or more residents and cover 8 distinct areas with several standards within each category.
Home and Community Care Support Services - HCCSS (ON)- The 14 Home and Community Care Support Services regions (HCCSS), created by the government of Ontario, are not-for-profit orgaizations with the responsibility of planning, integrating, funding and delivering health care services in the province. Each HCCSSworks with health service providers (e.g. hospitals, community health centres, long-term care, support services, mental health and addiction services) within their defined area.
Manitoba's 'Aging in Place' Strategy (MB)- For Manitoban Seniors who do not want to consider relocation to a retirement or long-term care home, there are a few options that may be available to you provided that your care needs do not exceed the services that are available. With the goal of allowing seniors the opportunity to remain in their own community to 'age in place', Manitoba's provincial government has created options to support this objective.
Saskatchewan Health Regions (SK)- Contact information on Health Regions in Saskatchewan
The Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (Ontario) (ON)- If you or someone you love lives in a retirement home in Ontario, you should know that there will be new protections available under the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, which received Royal Assent on June 8, 2010.
Ontario's Residential Tenancies Act (ON)- Retirement Residences fall under the definition of "care homes" in the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. Most of the same rules that apply to rental units also apply to care homes, but there are some additional rules that are specific to this type of housing.